.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: formerly Indianapolis, IN, Central Region, Ghana

INFP, prone to fits of outrageous behavior and supporter of same

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Greetings from lovely Ghana!!

I've made back to the internet cafe, although today's keyboard is not quite right, some keys are in odd places or don't work at all, so bear with me. The drive over here via taxi is always an adventure, well taxis here are definitely an adventure. The cars are old and rattly, then often filled with goods and people, no chickens yet, but it won't be long. The roads are rough and clogged with, yes you guessed it--chickens, goats and people carrying loads on their heads. More on that later. Regardless, the half hour ride here is past beautiful subsistence farms--maize, beans, cocoa, plantains (they look like palm trees), cashew trees, cassava bushes, etc. It is all green.

Training is still moving along. Y'day I got a rabies shot and a first of several hepatitus shots. Finally, late in the day we received our site assignments. I'll be spending the next two years at Kakum National Park. I couldn't be more excited. From both what I've heard and read, the park is a nat'l treasure and a birdwatcher's dream.\ Next month I'll visit the site, plus get to see my house, which according to the description is "pink." Hmmm, it wasn't my first choice.\\ When they inspected the house a month ago the toilet wasn't installed. I'm hopeful that in another month that might be done.\
My host family continues to treat me very well. I left this a.m. for language class and they were all busy cleaning. Laundry is all done by hand here and yes, they do sweep dirt yards clean (more on that later). Did I mention that they have bananas and oranges growing in the yard?? It's currently the "little rainy season" here and that essentially means that they have a second crop of anything. Given the daily rain, everything is growing.

With my site confirmed, I'm now learning another language. Fanti is the language of the Ashanti people, widely spoken in the southern parts of Ghana. It sounds harmonic to me. I hope to supercede my present comedic status, although it is somehow comforting to have everyone laughing at me....

Thanks to all the correspondents out there, it means more than you know to hear from home.
love ya...d

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian R Dunn said...

I watched a movie called "Constant Gardner" and thought of you. It was set in Africa. Sounds like you're taking it all in. I know women who would kill for a pink house, so enjoy that. And isn't it amazing that people actually sweep their dirt floors?? Who knew?

I just finished my 3rd marathon this sunday and signed up for my 4th later on in Nov. Trying to reach my goal of qualifying for the Boston M. Still no offers on the house but I have much hope.

Sounds like you're doing well. Looking forward to your first bush taxi ride w/ a chicken...

1:18 AM  
Blogger Shawna Frazer-Klopfer said...

Hi, Dixie!
We miss you and are thinking about you on your great life adventure.
Love, Shawna

2:38 PM  
Blogger Shawna Frazer-Klopfer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home